Back to top
***navigation.shtml*** ***pubwork_head_pic.shtml***

Youth mobility VISA

1 of the basic 3

Youth Mobility Visa - Short and to the point

If you want to work legally in the United Kingdom, you need the right papers. There will be different conditions depending on your nationality. Of course you'll need your passport and some money first.

For all the information on Working in the UK visit

***Major changes to UK Working Holiday Visa***

Youth Mobility Visa
(formerly known as Working Holiday Authorisation)

As of November 2008 the UK has replaced the WHA with a new system called the Youth Mobility Visa. This new points based system will make it easier for eligible applicants to work and holiday in the United Kingdom.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so make the most of it.

Available to citizens of Australia, New Zealand Canada and Japan between 18 – 30 years of age. This new 2 year visa now allows you to work for the entirety of the 2 years. The primary role is to allow you the opportunity to work for the sole purpose of funding your holiday in the UK.

In short – Work and spend everything, then return home broke.

If you are not a citizen of these 4 countries then I am afraid you can not apply for the Youth Mobility Visa - unless your country offers a reciprocal agreement for British youth in your country in the future.

This has now closed the UK Working Holiday for South Africans

The Youth Mobility Scheme has also closed the BUNAC program for UK Working Holiday for US citizens

UK entry visa

“It has been said that a pretty face is a passport. But it's not, it's a visa, and it runs out fast.”

Julie Burchill



The introduction of the YMV has actually reduced the cost of applying by almost half, now down to ₤125! That's around AUD$225 NZD$280, CAD$205, 1500ZAR. You can either download the required forms from the consulate / embassy in your country, fill them in and send them off or you can pay a bit more and have a specialist organisation do it all for you. Give it about 4 - 6 weeks or so, (if there's no problems of course) and you will have yourself a shiny new YMV to start your adventure in the UK.

You will also need to show proof of funds of ₤1600 to cover you for the first few weeks of your stay in the United Kingdom.

You will be able to enter and exit the United Kingdom as many times as you like within the 2 year validity of the visa. You can choose to work in any field and you can organise your employment before leaving your home country.

For all the information on the new Youth Mobility Visa visit

Youth Mobility Visa : United Kingdom Home Office

Ancestry Visas

For those of you lucky enough to have a British Grandparent, and you're a member of the Commonwealth. You can apply for an ancestry visa. There was talk of the UK closing this scheme too, however overwhelming public support has allowed it to continue...for now at least.

This allows you to live and work in the UK for up to 4 years. It comes with the bonus of potential residency. If you are eligible for this visa I would suggest using the working holiday authorisation first and then applying for your ancestry visa if you decide you want to return to work in the uk for a longer period.

Information on - UK ancestry visa

Of course before you apply for any of the above, you're going to need the other 2 of the basic three, these are:


Once you've got them sorted all you really need is a plane ticket to start your adventure in the United Kingdom. However you probably have a stack of questions so choose a topic above to find out the answers.

-note- The information on this site is the interpretation of my own research. Always check official websites for yourself!